On March 22, 2018, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) announced the sentencing of a musical copyright thief to five (5) years in prison.
Here are a few highlights:
The criminal operation transpired from 2012 – 2015
- Largest online file-sharing of infringing musical works in the U.S.
- An estimated 1 billion copies of copyrighted musical works were downloaded through the Internet
- The criminal created links and stored and distributed the stolen music on his sites
- During that period, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) sent the criminal over 100-emails to stop, which he ignored
- The conservative estimate of the stolen works value is $6.3 billion
- Sentenced to five (5) years in prison and three (3) years of supervised release
- Ordered to pay $458,000. to the RIAA
- The criminal was ordered to surrender on May 10th
- The case was investigated by the FBI
 Owner of Sharebeast.com sentenced for copyright infringement, U.S. Department of Justice, March 22, 2018